Are you from a low income household and cannot afford the services of a lawyer?
We may be able to help.
SLA provides legal representation and services in the following matters:
- Civil matters click for more information
- Criminal Offences click for more information
- Landlord/Tenant Matters click for more information
- Traffic Violations click for more information
- Family Matters (except Divorce) click for more information
- Small Claims
- Student Academic and Non-Academic Appeals
- Social Assistance/AISH/Employment Insurances Appeals
- Some Administrative Tribunal Work
- General Information in other areas
SLA cannot assist in matters where:
- You are charged with an indictable offence;
- Your matter is before a Court other than the Provincial Court of Alberta (ie: the Queen’s Bench or the Court of Appeal);
- The jurisdiction of your matter is outside of Alberta;
- The complexity of your matter is beyond the scope of our service;
- Your matter is in Youth Court;
- You are currently in Jail;
- Your parenting matter involves Child & Family services;
- Your matter deals with Divorce;
- Your matter is a personal injury claim;
- Your matter involves the sale of interest in land
Note: Caseworkers are able to make appearances in Calgary, Airdrie, Okotoks, Cochrane, and Canmore. Appearances in circuit Courts are limited to trials and dispositions. All other appearances must be made by the Client.
Student Legal Assistance does not charge a fee for the legal services we provide. Depending on your type of file, you will be charged a one-time disbursement fee of either 30 dollars or 50 dollars (for civil files). This charge helps SLA recover a portion of costs related to the management of client files. The disbursement is payable by cash or cheque upon the completion of your first intake interview.